The NIH Foundation is proud to share the success of The Breast Health Center of NIHD. This initiative has facilitated care for almost fifty breast cancer patients since its start.The Center’s first two surgeries were performed on patients that would have otherwise chosen not to have surgery due to issues with traveling out of town. By providing excellent, specialized care for our breast health patients, we provide our patients with all of their treatment needs locally. The NIHD Breast Health Center organizes a team consisting of the primary care physician, mammographer, breast surgeon, pathologist, oncologist, and other specialists to coordinate the best care for each breast cancer patient. This multi-disciplinary team meets regularly to review the treatment plan.
This specialized care provides access to:
- Mammography team led by Dr. Stuart Souders.
- Local access to renowned breast cancer surgeon, Dr. Jay K. Harness.
- A Patient Navigator who maintains cancer support and guidance and works to remove any potential barriers.
- Social services referral assistance for the patient and their family.
- Cancer support groups and education at no cost.
- Dietician services to promote best nutritional outcomes.
- Rehabilitation and strengthening programs.
- Cancer risk assessment screening.
- Compassionate infusion center team lead by a certified Oncology Nurse.
- Specially-trained Ultrasound, MRI and Mammography technologists.
- NIHD’s Diagnostic Imaging Center accredited by the American College of Radiology.